Wednesday, October 19, 2011
I know a lot of our posts have been about men and their shortcomings, so I decided to switch things up today. I want to share with you some of the most romantic experiences I have been blessed with, proving that romance is far from dead. There is hope.
The following are my all-time favorite romantic experiences and they are in no particular order:
1. My fine fella calls me on a Wednesday, telling me to pack my bags for an impromptu weekend trip to Florida, where we swam in the warmest, bluest ocean I have ever stepped foot in and laid on the softest sand I have ever felt. It was wonderful to break the monotony of my routine and think of nothing but enjoying myself with him for a few days. Romantic and refreshing.
2. This gentleman invites me to dinner at his place and when I arrive, the deliciously fragrant chicken alfredo is bubbling on the stove, the table is set, the napkins are folded into swans, and there is music softly playing in the background. He had created a playlist with all of my most favorite artists and songs. It made me feel so special.
3. A gentleman wrote a song for me and sang it acappella while he stood in front of me and made me close my eyes. He later gave me the endearing lyrics to keep.
4. I met one dapper dude at a bar mitzvah who made me feel like I was living a fairy-tale. He was a caterer at the venue and when our eyes locked, it was as if none of the other 100 guests were there. He served my dinner & dessert to me first before the other tables. He asked my mom if it would be alright to ask me to dance. Requested Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" from the band and risked his job as he offered his hand to me and pulled me onto the dance floor when the song came on. We danced, we laughed, and it was one of the most precious moments of my life.
5. After a long day of modeling in NYC during flash floods, I ended up stranded at Penn Station. They shut down all the transit services out of the city and my car was all the way in South Jersey. When this gentleman found out I was stranded, he insisted on driving up (in the flood) to rescue me and take me to my car. Not only was it dark, rainy, cold and downright disastrous outside, it was 10:30 in the evening when he set out from Philadelphia to come get me. Even though it wasn't a life or death situation, he rescued me and I'll always be appreciative of that.
6. I had been running around like a madwoman one day; working and getting last minute items for my modeling bag; even mashing my toe (as my Granny would say) in the process and this fella insisted I come by to see him. I was annoyed and irritated that he was interrupting my angry day and taking up my precious packing time. When I arrived as a flustered, bloody mess; he tended to my mashed toe, took me out for ice cream, sat me down and insisted I tell him about my day. As I told him, I broke down in tears for no other reason than I was a tired, hot mess. After patiently listening and watching me carefully, he tucked my hair behind my ear, kissed me and said, "you're beautiful and I love you". It was just what I needed to hear at that moment. I knew he wasn't trying to be nice, he was being honest.
7. Another fella invited me over for a home cooked meal one evening and when I arrived, there were at least 10 fire trucks outside his building. The building had been evacuated and there were people swarming the parking lot. Turns out, my fella had burnt the meal, set off the fire alarm, and smoked out his apartment. When I finally found him the crowd, he looked so embarrassed and ashamed. My heart went out to him and we ended up having such a nice evening, despite the smokey, charbroiled meal.
I'm a sucker for romance and I would love to hear some of your favorite romantic moments as well, so please share!